Sunday, February 18, 2007

fare thee well

The SKB is no more.

It had been sitting in my study, unworn but for a few minor outings to the grocery store. I knew in my heart of hearts that it just wasn't going to work out, but was unable to let go. A number of things just went wrong about it. First, I messed up the lace in both sleeves -- I was prepared to live with this issue, since I didn't frog them as I was working on them, but it was sort of a final straw. The biggest problems I had with it were that it was just too big, regardless of my attempts to size it as I knit it, and the yarn substitution totally didn't do it for me. I was dreaming of something drapey and the Andean Silk was just too stiff for what I had in mind for this project.

Cat had decided the SKB was her most favorite bed and had been sleeping on it when I was working in the study. Evidence #1:



Can you see the cat fur? If not, no matter. I finally took the wisdom of another knitter on the Knitty Board (name forgotten, sorry, but you were an inspiration!) who once said that when you frog a project, don't despair about the hours of work that went into its initial construction, but just think that you're getting twice the use out of your yarn.



So, much to Cat's unhappiness, I sat down and frogged!



I now have approx. 1200 (supposedly, probably less of it is workable now...maybe 1100-1000) yards of lovely Hollyberry Andean Silk. They need to be washed and blocked, but they will soon be re-useable. The question now is, for what? (Besides a bed for Cat...)

Option #1: Another Hourglass (see pictures below)
Pros: I love that green Hourglass sweater. A lot. Wouldn't mind having another around.
Cons: making another one...hmm...I think I'd like to try something new

Option #2: A Wicked.
Pros: looks easy, I'm digging the cabling right now, could probably make it quickly
Cons: would only use up half the yarn...or is that such a bad thing?

Option #3: Something Red
Pros: Looks pretty, might be able to wear year round, construction looks fun and easy
Cons: a little concerned about it fitting in real life the way it looks in the pictures...

Hmm...well, at least I have the Arwen to work on while I decide...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am making Wicked right now - I just finished the body and it fits perfectly. It is a very well written pattern. I think the sleeves will be done by tomorrow... So, about a week and a couple of days for a new sweater. I think that is great.

complainr said...

The more finished Wickeds I see, the more I lean toward doing that pattern. And it seems like the timeframe is just right. :>